Get Published by Christmas COMPETITION T&Cs
- This competition is to win a publishing contract for a novel to be published as an ebook under Carina UK, an imprint of Harlequin, an imprint of HarperCollins, 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF. One overall winner will be chosen from all submissions.
- To enter the competition entrants must submit:
- Synopsis of no more than 100 words
- The full manuscript must be submitted. The text must be double spaced and typed in Times New Roman font, point size 12 and must be the entrant’s own original work,
- Their contact information including their telephone number, email address and any social media handles e.g. @UKCarina
- All the material which is submitted must be written in English. Entries should be emailed as Word document attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Get published by Christmas’. Any entries which do not comply with all the requirements of this clause will not be eligible for entry into the competition
- The competition opens at 4pm BST on 12th October 2016 (the “Opening Date”) and closes at midnight BST on 26th October 2016 (the “Closing Date”). All entries must be received between the Opening Date and the Closing Date. Any entries received before the Opening Date or after the Closing Date will not be eligible for entry into the competition.
- After the Closing Date members of the Carina editorial team will select a winner from the eligible entries. The winner will be the one which is the best written in the eyes of the Carina editorial team. The Carina editorial team’s decision is final.
- There is no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- The winner will be notified of who has won on Thursday 27th October and is required to keep the information confidential and not disclose it to any third party by any means. The Winner’s name will be announced publicly on 28th October 2016 and will be published on Carina’s social networking feeds and pages. The winner agrees to take part in reasonable post announcement publicity and to the use of their name and photograph in such publicity as the Promoter may require.
- Publication of the winning entry by Carina will be subject to a separate contract (the “Publishing Contract”) between the author of the winning entry and Harlequin. It will also be subject to agreement of the Publishing Contract. If Harlequin and the winner are unable to agree the Publishing Contract, then that person’s entry will not be published at all and Harlequin reserves the right to not publish any work or to select another entrant from the qualifying entries.
- The Publishing Contract will be for all publishing rights worldwide, including all electronic rights. It is intended, subject to agreement of the Publishing Contract, that the winning entry will be published as an ebook in 2016. Harlequin reserves the right to also publish a winning entry in print under the Carina imprint and/or to publish a winning entry whether digitally or in print under another imprint published by Harlequin. There is no prize money for this competition or any advance payable under the Publishing Contract, though royalties will be paid to the author in accordance with the Publishing Contract.
- The submission must contain the entrant’s own original work. Nothing must be included which is defamatory, private or in infringement of copyright or other intellectual property right or in any way a breach of another’s right. The material cannot have been previously published or been available online. If the submission includes any material in which a third party owns the copyright or any other right such as a poem or song lyrics, permission must be sought from the owner by the entrant. Harlequin reserves the right to ask for the permission(s) before entering into the Publishing Contract. Entrants must be free to enter into the Publishing Contract and must not be subject to any constraints which would prevent Harlequin from publishing the work such as (but not limited to) a contractual option given to another publisher. Any entry in breach of this clause will be disqualified from participating in the competition and from winning any prize.
- The competition is open to anyone in the UK aged 18 or over except employees of Harlequin, their families, or anyone professionally connected to the competition either themselves or through their families.
- Only one entry per person is allowed. Second or subsequent entries will be disqualified. Entries will not be accepted via agents, third parties or in bulk.
- Harlequin is not responsible for contacting entrants who provide unclear or incomplete contact information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
- Harlequin reserves the right to alter the prize, to not select any winners at all or to cancel the competition without notice.
- The email addresses of entrants will be used by Harlequin to send news about our books, products and promotions. The winner will be asked for their postal address which will be used for the purpose of their Publishing Agreement.
- By entering the competition each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- This competition is being organised by Harlequin.
- These terms and conditions will be governed by the laws of England and the courts of England will have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes.
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SITE.
All material should be the author’s own original work. Stories that contain scenes or plot lines that bear a striking resemblance to previously published work are in breach of copyright law and are not acceptable.
We take every reasonable care of manuscripts while they are with us and will return any which prove unsuitable (provided return postage is supplied), but we cannot take responsibility for the vagaries of the post office, or cyberspace, so please be sure to retain a copy of your manuscript.
All website design, text, graphics, the selection and arrangement thereof, and all software compilations, underlying source code, software (including applets) and all other material on this web-site are copyright Harlequin (UK) Limited and its affiliates, or their content and technology providers. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Any use of materials on this web-site without the prior written permission of Harlequin (UK) Limited is strictly prohibited.
® and ™ indicate trademarks which are owned by or used under license by Harlequin (UK) Limited and/or www.carina.uk.com. Unauthorised use of any trademarks which are owned or used under license by Harlequin (UK) Limited or www.carina.uk.com. is strictly prohibited. Other product and company names mentioned on this web-site may be the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners and are subject to all applicable trademark protection laws.
Conditions of website use
No contract will subsist between you and www.carina.uk.com. or Harlequin (UK) Limited for the sale by it to you of any product unless and until www.carina.uk.com. or Harlequin (UK) Limited accepts your order by email confirming that it has shipped your product. That acceptance will be deemed complete and will be deemed for all purposes to have been effectively communicated to you at the time www.carina.uk.com. or Harlequin (UK) Limited sends the email to you (whether or not you receive that email). For the avoidance of doubt, any such contract will be deemed to have been concluded in the United Kingdom. Further, any such contract will be interpreted, construed and enforced in all respects in accordance with the laws of England, and you and Harlequin Carina UK irrevocably submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED AT LAW, WWW.CARINA.UK.COM AND HARLEQUIN (UK) LIMITED ARE PROVIDING THIS WEB SITE AND ITS CONTENTS ON AN “AS IS” BASIS AND MAKES NO (AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL) REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THIS WEB SITE OR THE INFORMATION, CONTENT, MATERIALS OR PRODUCTS INCLUDED IN THIS SITE INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN ADDITION, WWW.CARINA.UK.COM AND HARLEQUIN (UK) LIMITED DO NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE INFORMATION ACCESSIBLE VIA THIS WEB SITE IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE OR CURRENT. Price and availability information is subject to change without notice.
Except as specifically stated on this web-site, to the fullest extent permitted at law, neither www.carina.uk.com and nor Harlequin (UK) Limited nor any of their affiliates, directors, employees or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this Web site or the information, content, materials or products included on this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties.